SAINT AGNES CATHEDRAL 533 South Jefferson Springfield, MO 65806
EXTRAORDINARY FORM OF THE MASS (LATIN)
CELEBRANT: Father Jeff Fasching
March 9, 2014
First Sunday of Lent
Epistle: II Cor. 6: 1-10
Gospel: Mt. 4: 1-11
Mon 10 No Latin Mass
Tue 11 Feria of Lent
Wed 12 Ember Wednesday
Thu 13 Feria of Lent
Fri 14 Ember Friday of Lent
If we consent to temptation it is always sinful. All the most important people throughout salvation history were tempted-from Adam to Jesus Christ Himself. But Christ rejected the temptations of Satan. Christ is an example to show how we can always overcome evil through Him who holds all power over evil. However, we must adopt Christ’s attitude during times of trial. Christ never sought the glory that was rightfully His; rather He took the form of a servant. We must remember that glory belongs to God alone. We can always overcome temptation through humility and trust in God!
Laws of Days of Abstinence: The Discipline of 1962
• Applies on one’s 7th birthday.
• Complete Abstinence: all Fridays of the year, Ash Wednesday, Holy Saturday, and the Vigil of Christmas.
• Partial Abstinence (meat and soup or gravy made from meat permitted once a day at the principle meal): all the days of Lent, the Ember Days of Wednesday and Saturday, and the Vigils of Pentecost and the Assumption.
• Abstinence from meat is dispensed on Holy Days of Obligation
Laws of Fast: The Discipline of 1962
• Applies for those aged 21 to 59, inclusive.
• Days of Lent from Ash Wednesday inclusive, Ember Days, and Vigils of Christmas, Pentecost, and the Assumption.
• One full meal permitted and two other meals may be taken which, when combined, are less than a full meal.
The Law of the Eucharistic Fast: The Discipline of 1962
• The complete fast from all food and drink (except for water or medicine) for three hours before the reception of Holy Communion. In the document reducing the fast to three hours, the Pope still encouraged those who were able to maintain the midnight fast which was the previous discipline.
Mass on Ash Wednesday will be at 10:00am
Mass on March 7 will be followed by exposition and benediction of the Blessed Sacrament
The next scheduled pot-luck dinner is March 23
Fr. Jeffery Fasching